Sunday, January 16, 2011

Is the University of Texas at Austin a good school?


Is the University of Texas at Austin a good school?
I am really interested im this school, but I keep hearing things about it. Mostly, I hear that its a prty school and everybods drinks and does drugs. Is this true? I plan to live in the dorm and I don't party at all. I am a serious student and don't want to be surounded by a party scene. Also, I have heard that classes are huge, even in upper division ones. Is that true? Has anybody gone to UT and loved the experience? I guess what I'm really looking for is some reassurance...
Higher Education (University +) - 7 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
First off, any school can be classified as a party school. I am from Texas and have lived here my whole life and have always heard good things about UT. I have friends that went there and had a wonderful experience. Also, Austin is a wonderful city. Have you visited the campus? When I was looking at universities, I found it helpful to visit the ones I was interested in and see an average day on campus. I hope this helps.


2
It is definitely a good school. The costs are higher than the other universities but when you think of high costs then you think of the education that you are gonna get. If everyone partys or does drugs then would you do it to? Don' feel pressured. Austin is an awesome city but again, high costs but can you say no to the beauty? The downtown is amazing and it is a music city. The first year in UT is free then after that, you're on your own. Apply for Grants, if not then try Student loans (subsidized- the interest will be payed by the gov't). I would love to transfer to UT but I still want to earn some money.


3
UT is an excellent school. It's big - really big. It's the biggest school in TX. That can be an advantage. Yes, there are some who party all the time while there, but there are also those who do nothing but study, and still other segments of the population that are somewhere in between. The classes are HUGE, even the upper level ones in some majors. Before you TOTALLY commit to it, visit there. I'm assuming you're still in High School. So take a "senior day" and check out the school. Call ahead and let them know you're coming and ask for a tour. They've probably already had their "official" day to do this but like any other major University they will gladly give you some one on one time. Go there with questions and get answers you can understand. Be polite, but firm. The brother of a friend of mine spent his whole Jr High and High School life dreaming of going to UT, his grades were good enough, he was a star athlete, and his parents could afford to send him there so he went, having never stepped foot on campus before. None of his friends were going there and he didn't know anyone. He was TOTALLY and completely unprepared for life at UT - and this was in '89. Before the end of the first semester he dropped out because he couldn't deal with just how big it was, and how even though he was one of the big fish in our little 3A High School pond, he just had no idea how big and fast and uncaring life would be in the ocean that is UT. I'm not saying this to scare you off. I'm just saying that you would do well to visit the school, the website, and do all you can do to be as informed as you can before committing to this school. You can get an EXCELLENT education at UT, just be prepared. College life isn't like life at home with Mom and Dad. College life isn't like life. And life on a big university campus is not like college life at a smaller university. Life at UT is diverse enough to where the only thing you can say for sure about EVERYBODY is that every student there enjoys being there. The cause of their enjoyment may be VASTLY different, but generally speaking they're all enjoying life on campus.


4
I suggest Texas A&M University.:)


5
UT Austin is an excellent school. It's one of the top public universities in the US. It's also quite large. What that means is that there will be all types of students there. Yes, some will want to party, but many won't be into that scene. Some of the general education intro type classes may be quite large, but others won't be, and as you move up into your major courses, those are often very small. I remember, at a largish university, my Intro to Microeconomics class had 500 students in it, but that same semester, my English class had less than 10. You really do need to do a campus visit. Take a tour, talk to the students there, talk to admissions. Then, if you still feel that the school is too big, then it's too big, and you should apply elsewhere. There are advantages to going to a big school, though. You have access to opportunities that may be unavailable at a smaller school. But if it feels too big after that visit, then it is. Trust your gut.


6
I go to A&M, but my boyfriend goes to UT. While A&M is the right place for ME, I also think that UT is an excellent school. I always heard the same things that you are hearing about UT, and I also heard that people there are rude and snobby, but in my visits to Austin, I haven't came across anyone like that! Everyone has been really friendly. When people say that it is a big party school, I think they mean that there are many OPPORTUNITIES to party- and there are, but there are also many opportunities to do other things. My boyfriend and I like to go out every now and then, but for the most part we aren't crazy about partying and he always has something fun planned when I visit that doesn't involve drinking. I agree with what other people have said- definately visit the campus. It's really the only way you can know for sure that it is the place for you. I'm not sure about class size there, but I can say that I never thought I would like huge classes, but I actually really enjoy my bigger classes here at A&M. You may suprise yourself by finding out that you actually do like big classes (or maybe not- I can't speak for you). Basically, I think that Austin and UT sometimes get a bad reputation for being rude/partying/crazy, but its not all about that. Remember that while it is a huge school, that also means there are many different kinds of people. You don't have to worry about not being able to find friends that enjoy the same things as you. I also found the campus surprisingly pretty considering it is in the middle of a huge city. Good luck!


7
UT Austin is a HUGE school!! At any school no matter the size, location, public/private or even religious affiliation..there are ALWAYS the party people. But at a school the size or UT i can guarantee you that there are more people just like you on that campus. If you can not find a group to fit into at UT more then likely you will not fit in anywhere..lol. Austin is an amazing town and has a lot more to offer then drinking and drugs!

Popular Posts