Tuesday, June 28, 2011

In Austin Texas, can you get around fairly easily without a car?


In Austin Texas, can you get around fairly easily without a car?
I'm moving to Austin from a very small town (i.e. we have no public transportation at all). I have never ridden a bus (besides a school bus), or used the subway or a taxi cab or anything like that. How difficult is it to get around Austin without a car? I'm not afraid of walking or riding a bike to get where I need to go....it's just that when I move I probably won't have access to a car like I do where I live now. Thanks for the help.
Other - Cars & Transportation - 2 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
you can, but that mean relying on public transportation. and the traffic in Austin is a nightmare. I would suggest trying to get a car, it will make your life easier.


2
There is public transportation here that is pretty reliable and nice w/good A/C (cheap as well, but I think they are raising the fees sometime in the future) - but it is pretty limited. Make sure you live somewhere on an active bus line if you're not going to have a car, because the buses definitely don't go everywhere. It's possible to live without a car, but it's not desirable since the city is so spread out and nearly everyone who lives here does have a car. Check out http://www.capmetro.org/ - they have all the routes listed with maps and a trip planner where you put in the starting and ending addresses and it will tell you what buses to take and when.

Popular Posts