Monday, December 6, 2010

I am a teacher in California and want to know how public schools are in Austin Texas?


I am a teacher in California and want to know how public schools are in Austin Texas?
I will be relocating to Austin Texas sometime next year. I will be teaching middle school. How do Texas schools compare in treatment of teachers? I can tell you in Los Angeles, sometimes you don't even get paid and have to stand in long lines in Downtown LA to get your paycheck. It is a nightmare! Buying my condo last year, I feel like I live in poverty (and I have a Master's Degree) I'm looking for less hectic city life. How are children? Is there a large dropout rate? (LA is 50%) What areas have a large percentage of English Language Learners and Free Lunches? How do kids stand up nationally on standardized tests? What is discipline like in most schools? (We can't assign students campus clean-up anymore because of lawsuits)It is crazy here. Only 1/3 of the middle school kids graduated in the school I teach at. If you are a teacher, parent, or student any info would be greatly appreciated.
Primary & Secondary Education - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
I'm sorry; I'm not a teacher, a parent, or a student. :( The only personal relevance I can offer you is that I'm familiar with both cities (having lived in LA and grown up near Austin), and perhaps the general differences between the two cities will also hold true, comparatively, between the two cities' school systems. In my personal experience, Austin's inner city climate is *much* better than LAs (smaller, less crime, less gangs, etcetera) - Of course that̢۪s not to say Austin is perfect or has none of the problems you're worried about - but on the whole I think you are making a good choice. Also, please let me applaud you: If you were/are in the situation you say you are, trying to get thru to kids who need education the most - but are the least likely to actually get it - then you're a hero. Really. Good luck!

Popular Posts