Monday, April 4, 2011

Which is a better school - University of Texas@ Austin or SMU?


Which is a better school - University of Texas@ Austin or SMU?
I'm an undergraduate student. I haven't completely decided on a major/career path but I am in between business and pre-medicine. I would major in Nutrition (only offered at UT) or Biology...or get a BBA. I know UT is higher ranked in business than SMU, but does that necessarily mean that UT grads get better job offers than SMU grads? UT is stronger in the sciences, so Iwould be a more competitive med school applicant if i stay at SMU..since my gpa would be higher? With scholarships, I would have to pay $13 k/year for SMU and $6k/year for UT. The lower tuition of UT seems very attractive. Also, I already spent one year at SMU. I enjoyed it but often felt like it wasn't big/diverse/fun enough for me. UT seems to offer more in the social aspect, but I am scared that I'll get lost in the crowd, especially as a transfer student. Please help!
Higher Education (University +) - 3 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
Hook em' Horns! With being such a popular school, you're looking at some powerful alumni which could help you out in the future. Social scene is perfect...just lil' bit for every type of person. All around i believe it to be a great experience.


2
Both great schools. My sister attended UT for one year then transferred to SMU for the last two. She got two degrees in three years then was accepted to Northwestern Law School. I think it depends on your personality type. I would transfer to UT just because I love the atmosphere in Austin. Plus its just about the best value for education in the nation. And they have a med school.


3
Go longhorns! UT Austin is an excellent public university. Tuition is relatively low especially considering it offers tons of resources. Additionally, it seems like you aren't very satisfied w/ SMU. While I'm not saying it you will like it any better, UT offers a very different atmosphere. There's definitely a party scene, if you're interested in that type of stuff. Football is BIG in this campus. Get ready to spend weekends at the stadium where the majority of students will be cheering their peers on. If you don't like this type of life, then UT might not be for you. HOWEVER, UT is also an excellent academic school, besides its social life. They're pretty strong in just about every department-- some more than others though. Also, if your worried that you will get lost at UT - DON'T BE!!!! Most folks here are friendly and willing to help out.If you want the basic overview of each university, here it is: UT Austin -Public university in Austin, Texas -Cheap tuition for the resources you have -Vibrant and active social scene -VERY large w/ undergrad enrollment almost 40,000 -Offers a wide variety of majors w/ solid standards -Not religiously affiliated SMU -Private university near Dallas, Texas -Expensive because it is private -Much smaller undergrad enrollment than UT -Solid business school but lacks in the sciences department -Social scene might not be as encouraged as in UT---however, because its close to Dallas, you'll at least have night clubs to go to. Hope this helps you out!!!

Popular Posts